At least five mobile phones have exploded over the last two months in Brazil, causing anxiety among phone users and making news headlines.
The incidents, representing only a fraction of the 89 million phones in circulation in Brazil, all involved Motorola phones. The company said it was investigating and Brazil's telecommunication agency is pursuing the case as well.
In the most recent incident on April 30, the 34-year-old victim in Formosa, Goias state, had surgery for burns on her thighs and arms. She was driving with the phone in her lap when it exploded.
Others accidents since April were reported in Rio de Janeiro and three cities in Sao Paulo state.
Motorola said the probable cause of the explosion was that the owners used non-original or low-quality batteries.
"We are having a strong campaign to alert users not to buy accessories which are not original. It's very common for people to do this in markets or non-authorized stores," Motorola spokeswoman Samantha Simon said last week.