I was given a demo model XBox 360 yesterday morning. As any avid gaming fan, I ran upstairs, plugged it in and was keen to play a game. I want to run through some of the negative things I have experienced in the 1st couple of days first, then I will try and find some positives....
- The power plug was a European version. (Maybe that was because it was a demo) There is nothing worse than wanting to play your game and you have to run around finding the right addaptor.
- The optical digital audio out was hidden away wth any mention of it in the manual. I needed to mail a friend of mine in the UK to find out if the Xbox even had a digital audio out for all of this amazing sound that it was advertising. After finding the plug, it was great.
- The power transformer is HUGE!!! It is almost as big as a toaster. Not a good idea if you are trying one of these modern, minimilist lounges or game rooms.
- One of the big draw cards for the Xbox is the Xbox Live. A place where you can go online and chat, play and interact with other players around the world. Again, maybe because I have a demo, there is no South African option. This means that the postal code I enter when I register isn't accepted and the whole thing falls apart. Will we get Xbox Live in South Africa when the console launches next week?
- One of the demo games just doesn't work. There is a warning that it only works in PAL 60 areas. It starts up fine but you can't get the game started.
- Graphics and interaction is fantastic.
- The wireless controller is the BEST!!!!
- Audio, once you find the plug, is extreme. Forget the fake surround from PS2, this is real Dolby Digital Surround.
- I have one driving game and the one thing that I love is the crowd around the track. Normally, these are just static figures with a camera flash or two. In Gothom, they interact with the car. Crash into the barriers and they move away, then start taking pictures.